The title of this post should have been "Cream of Spinach & Fennel", but now that I am officially a Bostonian (having lived here for 16 months), I have to cheer for the local teams (excluding the Bruins).
The color of this soup might be scary, but it's tasty, easy to cook, and very original. It can be made ahead of time and reheated before the next playoff game.
This recipe was first cooked by my mom, who got the recipe from a colleague
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 ½ cup of chicken bouillon
- 1 ts of fennel seeds
- ½ cup cooking cream
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbs butter (or olive oil)
- Heat butter in a soup pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, sauté for 4 mins. Add fennel, sauté for 5 minutes
- Add bouillon. Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer.
- Add spinach, fennel seeds, salt & pepper to taste, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take off the heat. Blend using a hand mixer.
- Add cream. Stir.