mardi 21 janvier 2014
Fennel Tomato Soup
Unlike every child in the United States, I did not grow up eating tomato soup. I only recently discovered the pleasure of grilled cheese and tomato soup.
I borrowed this recipe from the latest book of one of my favorite Montréal chefs, Josée Distasio. In her "Carnet Rouge", she revisits comfort food recipes, including tomato soup.
I changed some of her suggested ingredients and quantities, and the final result was delicious.
3 tbs olive oil
2 cups onion and/or leek, diced
1/4 cup rice
2 cups fennel, diced
4 ts fennel seeds
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
Salt & Pepper
1. Heat the oil over medium heat, cook onion/leek for 8 minutes.
2. Add the fennel, cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the fennel seeds and garlic. Stir. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the rice, tomatoes and broth. Bring to boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
6. Season with salt & pepper.
7. Blend with a stick blender.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, shaved parmesan, croutons or fresh parsley.