When I was little, my dad would often put strawberries in salad. When the fruits weren't quite ripe enough, he would stir a little balsamic vinegar and orange juice with the cut strawberries... That concoction would magically make the strawberries much sweeter and tastier.
Somehow, I remembered this trick when I decided to bake this summer classic. Yes, summer is finally here!
- 1 pie crust
- 3 cups of strawberries, cut in quarter
- 3 tbs. sugar
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs. corn starch
- 10 leaves of basil, shredded in small pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Mix all the filling ingredients together.
- Pour the filling in the pie-crust.
- Bake at 400 F for 5 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 350F,
- Bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting and serving.